Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Weddings This Spring with Lydia Ross

LLD knows we're all hoping for spring to... well "SPRING" into action. February is over and it's almost time for spring break. What's on the calendar for spring you ask?? Well we heard weddings weddings and more weddings! For the inside scoop on what to expect this spring,  expert Lydia Ross spoke with us about trends in wedding fashion and decor this spring as well as why she felt so inspired to become involved in event planning. For moms who have older kids, and sitters that want to tie the not, keep tuned!


Tell us what is in for this seasons spring wedding?
Brides are still taking cues from last year’s Royal Wedding and recent fashion trends and include covering up more with long sleeves, cap sleeves, straps, etc. More and more brides are deciding to take a break from the ubiquitous strapless dress.  We’ll likely see brides incorporating color or patterns in their attire.  For décor, I think we’ll see movement in two different directions. Recently the rustic wedding has been popular, but I think we’ll start to see a lot more modern, stream-lined décor or weddings inspired by The Artist and the upcoming The Great Gatsby, with retro or garden-party inspired looks!

What has been your favorite wedding memory so far?
One of my favorite wedding memories is from an Indian-Western wedding I did a few years ago.  The groom’s father had lent the bride’s mother his late wife’s jewelry to wear for the traditional Indian ceremony.  Minutes before departing for the ceremony, the bride’s mother went to put on the earrings and found that the posts were too thick.  I was wearing my favorite pair of earrings – an inexpensive set of sparkly, flower-shaped studs from Anthropologie – and they matched her sari perfectly, so without hesitation I handed them over.  While the wedding wouldn’t have been ruined had she not had earrings to wear, being able to immediately calm those pre-ceremony jitters with such a simple offering – and their thanks for my doing so – reminded me why I do this. Now I wear the earrings to every wedding… just in case!

How did you first get involved in events & weddings? Did you always want to go out on your own?
I have wanted to be a wedding planner since I was little.  Really little.  I got my first subscription to Brides when I was in second grade!  But, after college I followed a more traditional career path and became a marketing consultant.  After the crisis of 2008 I had a chance to reevaluate what I really wanted to do with my life, and with a little encouragement from my friends and family I decided to try wedding planning.  I started out as a volunteer at a bridal expo – stuffing gift bags for attendees – and from there I got an unpaid internship with a firm in the city.  From there I’ve expanded into social, corporate, and non-profit events. The rest is history!

A few of our sitters are getting married. How can the newly engaged get more info about you?
Prospective brides can check out my website to get more information on my services, view photos of some of my past weddings, and read my blog to see what’s interesting me lately.  I’m also always available via email at Lydia@lydiarossevents.com or by phone at 203.243.0035.

No comments:

Post a Comment