Never leave home without it!
Here are a few of my recommendations I have learned along the way:
1. Give your sitter a tour. Show your sitter the kids rooms, point out dangerous areas you want the kids to stay away from and give specific instructions on how things work; baby monitor, TV, security system, etc.
2. Bedtime Rules. Talk to your sitter about your bedtime routine with the kids i.e. What time do you begin to wind down the night? What is your child's favorite story and/or bedtime song? What time should they be asleep by? Would you like the sitter to text you when they fall asleep?
3. Special Instructions. Are there any special rules you have? Do your kids have any allergies the sitter should know about? Are the kids sick and need medicine? Will you be expecting any deliveries?
4. Exchange Contact Info. Be sure to leave your sitter with your cell phone and an emergency contact numbers. Be sure to get her cell phone number so that you can text her throughout the night if you have any questions or to check in.
5. Anything else? Sitters are happy to lend a helping hand. If you'd like them to unload the dishwasher or change the laundry most sitters won't mind. Especially once they have been at your home a few times and you feel connected to them. They will be happy to help!